The restaurant “BAČKI DVOR” is part of the Lake Provala complex, which lies on a sandy beach, surrounded by a forest, which is a genuine oasis for nature and hunting lovers, and it is therefore an ideal venue for tourism. Lake Provala is located in the municipality of Bac, just one kilometer from the village of Vajska. This deepest lake in Vojvodina is 72 km away from Novi Sad. The largest part of the lake has a depth of 2 to 5 meters and the maximum depth is 19 meters. Lake Provala was created as a result of the Danube flood in 1926. Parts of the lake with a sandy shore have been transformed into a beautiful landscaped beach, which is the largest beach in the municipality of Bač.
The beach is equipped with umbrellas, a changing room, showers, restrooms, as well as other facilities for sports and leisure activities – children’s playgrounds, a raft with a diving board, water polo and volleyball courts, as well as a well-equipped camping area. Up to 3000 swimmers gather on this lake. It is extremely rich in fish (pike, carp, catfish, black amur, etc.), and is a favourite spot for anglers. During the summer months, motorcycle events take place on the lake, followed by the Serbian Beach Volleyball Championship, as well as a volleyball school for the youngest with Vanja Grbić.
The fortress in Bač is the most important and best preserved medieval fortress in Vojvodina. The site where the fortress is built is favourable for tourism and testifies to centuries long use of this naturally tenable ground which tied its fate to the Danube River – a natural border between nations and civilizations. The period between 1338 and 1342, when king Charles Robert Anjou strengthened the border of the kingdom, is connected with the formation of a part of today’s fortress. This is the time of the rise of Emperor Dušan and the Serbian – Hungarian wars, as King Charles mentioned in a letter as a threat and the reason for undertaking the work on the fortress in Bač. The strengthening and upgrading of the fort lasted for almost two centuries. Work on strengthening and adapting the fortress to new military and engineering requirements was led by archbishops who were often prefects. Efforts of Peter Varadi II, a humanist, scholar and art lover who rounded architectural work and deepened defense water trenches around the fort in the period between 1495 and 1501 are recorded.
HUNTING AND FISHING
The Danube environment is a habitat for diverse game and other types of wildlife. There are three hunting grounds in the immediate vicinity (Hunting ground “Bođanski rit”, hunting ground “Plavna” and hunting ground “Pond – Mostonga “). There are 5 fishing associations in the Bačka area. The developmental significance of aquatic resources will depend on their protection, conservation and regulation and development of hunting and fishing tourism, and on the construction of tourism infrastructure.
It is located in the centre of Bač; the complex consists of a monastery complex, in the form of a square, with an inner courtyard and the Church of the Assumption of Mary. In 1169, Crusade Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem erected their monastery and church in the centre of Bač, on the foundations of the old cathedral. Regarding its dimensions and style of construction, it is at the very top of Romanesque architecture. The five-sided apse, a combination of stone and bricks, poles with the heads of animals, on board “gargouille ” ( gargoyles ), enamelled shell . The interior was a type of ancient Christian basilica – bare walls without any mortar. Everything is the same, just as and in Western Europe, and the same structure is found in the valley of the Rhine in Germany. The underground “claws” which additionally provide stability of the building, also confirm that this was really a Crusade construction. No other medieval buildings in this region have such protruding feet. The foundations are over two metres wide, built of Roman red brick. The regular canons of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem had a repository in Bač. “Canonica crucifers” was their shorter name.
TOWN GATE “ŠILJAK”
The tower / gate is basically rectangular with brick and arch-shaped opening for the gate. Above the passage / gate one floor has been preserved, and there is a reasonable assumption that there used to be another one. The tower is covered and it still provides communication to date with the modern city, across the modern bridge. The tower is of gothic shape with two bifora. The gate faces the east and the already existing parts of the fortified city. There used to be a mobile bridge over the dug channel which merged with the Mostonga meander. This constructed channel, with earthen ramparts and palisades, closed the space, the fortification which captures the waters of Mostonga from the northern and southern side . The fortification has thirty houses nowadays. In the far west – northwest, a fortified castle was built.
THE BOĐANI MONASTERY
UIt is 15 km west of Bač, in the direction of the Danube. The complex consists of a church, lodgings and follow-up economic facilities. It was destroyed and rebuilt several times, and during the Rákóczi Uprising it was burned to the ground. The first monastery built in 1478 by merchant Bogdan from Dalmatia, as a sign of gratitude to the Virgin Mary for healing diseased eyes. The present church was erected during the 17th century by the wealthy Michael Timisoara of Szeged, as the fourth church building in the same place dedicated to the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin. The large dormitory and church in Bođani were built in the Baroque style, and the paintings were done by the famous icon painter of that time, Hristofor Žefarović. The dormitory once also included an expertly arranged Museum, with an abundance of exhibits, dedicated to this artist, with many antique engravings, oil paintings, church vessels, printing press drill press and other rarities, which needs to be renovated.
In the 14th century frequent Turkish attacks were rapidly increasing. Many crusades against the Turks started in Bač. At the time of the Mohács battle Bač also gave its cavalry. However, the penetration of the Turks was not stopped, and thus, at the turn of the 15th century and after the Mohács battle and fall of Belgrade, Bač was conquered in 1529. After the battle of Mohács the Turks had ravaged Bač and this town in Bačka became the district of Segedin Sanjak and the seat of Bačka nahiye of 70 villages. Hamam , in the centre of Bac represents a worthy and rare testimony of the time of the Ottoman domination in the territory of Vojvodina . It was most probably built after 1578, as recorded by Evliya Çelebi during a visit to Bač in 1665. Based on archaeological findings, it is known that the hamam had six rooms (fountain – waiting room and cloakroom, halvat – swimming compartment, hazna- water tank and đulhan – boiler room). The hamam was partly demolished, but a portion of the kubet over the central room was preserved.